Monday, October 20, 2008

But seriously, folks...

One of a few serious Hooray moments...

As a Tampa resident, I admittedly haven't really paid a whole lot of attention to the Rays up until now. Between being a die-hard hockey fan, and the propensity for this team to play admittedly forgettable baseball, it's never really been an issue. 
However, I was brought into the excitement of the Rays prior to the season by a former boyfriend, and spent the course of this season honestly growing to enjoy it. I had no way of knowing that this season was going to go the way that it did, and I got swept up in it the same way everyone else did, watching a team that no one expected to do well blow away all expectations.

I was a few blocks away from the Trop tonight when the Rays clinched their playoff berth, and it was huge for us. I never expected for this season to end this way, and I know they didn't either. 

But for Rocco Baldelli, it's more of a life or death situation than anyone else. He's come back to this team after a diagnosis of a mitochondrial disorder in a way that no one thought he would. I'm so happy for him to be able to do this, a year and a half after they really thought this disease would kill him. And it's a battle for him all the time, but I'm really happy to see things like this happen for people who work so hard to earn it.

Best of luck boys, I will be watching!

No comments: